A Navien tankless water heater is a smart and efficient way to heat water on demand, without wasting energy or space. However, like any appliance, it may encounter some issues that require a reset. Resetting a Navien tankless water heater can help to clear error codes, restore power, and fix overheating problems.
In this blog post, we will show you how to reset a Navien tankless water heater in a few easy steps.
Table of Contents
There are several reasons why you may need to reset your Navien tankless water heater, such as:
- Power outage: If there is a power outage or a surge in your home, your Navien tankless water heater may shut down or display an error code. Resetting the unit can help to restore the power and resume normal operation.
- Overheating: If the water temperature is too high or the unit is exposed to direct sunlight or high ambient temperature, your Navien tankless water heater may overheat and shut down. Resetting the unit can help to lower the temperature and prevent damage or safety hazards.
- Error codes: If there is a problem with the unit, such as a faulty sensor, a gas supply issue, or a water flow issue, your Navien tankless water heater may display an error code on the control panel. Resetting the unit can help to clear the error code and allow for proper operation.
Resetting a Navien tankless water heater is a simple process that only takes a few minutes. Here are the steps you need to follow:
Step 1: Turn off the power.
Locate the circuit breaker that controls the power to your Navien tankless water heater and turn it off. This will ensure that there is no power going to the unit and prevent any electrical shocks.
Step 2: Locate the reset button or control panel.
The reset button or control panel may vary depending on the model of your Navien tankless water heater. For most models, the reset button is located on the bottom right corner of the control panel. For some models, such as NPE-A and NPE-S series, you need to access the control panel by opening the front cover of the unit.
Step 3: Press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds.
Once you find the reset button or control panel, press and hold it for 3 seconds. The unit will enter a self-diagnostic mode and reset itself. You will hear a beep sound and see a flashing light on the control panel.
Step 4: Wait for the unit to reset and check for any error codes or warning lights.
After pressing and holding the reset button for 3 seconds, wait for about 10 minutes for the unit to reset and check for any error codes or warning lights on the control panel. If there are no error codes or warning lights, your Navien tankless water heater has been successfully reset and is ready to use. If there are still error codes or warning lights, you may need to contact a professional technician for further assistance.
Step 5: Turn on the power and test the water heater.
Once you have confirmed that your Navien tankless water heater has been reset and is working properly, turn on the power at the circuit breaker and test the water heater. Make sure that the water flow and temperature are normal and consistent.
To prevent issues and keep your Navien tankless water heater running smoothly, here are some tips for maintaining your unit:
- Perform regular maintenance and cleaning according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This includes flushing the heat exchanger with vinegar or descaling solution every 6 months to remove any mineral deposits or scale buildup.
- Replace the filter screen every 6 months or as needed to prevent clogging and reduce water pressure loss.
- Check for any leaks or corrosion on the pipes, valves, fittings, and venting system every year or as needed and repair them as soon as possible.
- Keep the unit away from direct sunlight or high ambient temperature and ensure adequate ventilation around it.
- Use only approved gas types and pressure levels for your unit and avoid using propane gas if your unit is designed for natural gas only.
We hope this blog post has helped you learn how to reset a Navien tankless water heater in a few easy steps. If you have any questions or comments,