If you are looking for a shower system that offers functionality and style choices, you might want to consider the M-Core valve system by Moen. This system allows you to customize your shower experience with different trim kits and cartridges that fit your needs and preferences.
In this blog post, we will compare and contrast two of the most popular cartridges for the M-Core system: the Moen 1212 and the Moen 1213.
Table of Contents
What are Moen 1212 and 1213 Cartridges?
Moen 1212 and 1213 cartridges are part of the M-Core valve system that uses a single handle to control the water temperature and volume. Unlike the Moentrol and PosiTemp systems where the cartridge is included with the valve, the M-Core flow cartridge is included with the trim kit. This means that you can choose the cartridge that suits your shower style and functionality.
The M-Core system includes two distinct series: the 2 Series and the 3 Series. Each series has a different cartridge that provides different features and benefits. The Moen 1212 is a gray cartridge for the 2 Series systems that have no volume control. The Moen 1213 is a blue cartridge for the 3 Series systems that have volume control.
How to Identify Your M-Core Cartridge?
To assist with identifying your M-Core shower system, you can check the installation guide provided with the trim kit or compare it to the details below:
- 2 Series (Installed After Spring 2021)-No Volume Control
- Escutcheon: Temperature indicators (styles vary) located at the 3 O’clock position.
- Escutcheon Screws: No Escutcheon Screws
- Handle Operation: Rotates only-adjusts water temperature
- Cartridge Number: 1212 (gray)
- 3 Series (Installed After Fall 2020)-Volume Control
- Escutcheon: Temperature indicators (styles vary) located at the 9 O’clock and 3 O’clock positions.
- Escutcheon Screws: No Escutcheon Screws
- Handle Operation: Rotates-adjusts water temperature; Pushed in and out-adjusts force or volume exiting the showerhead or tub spout
- Cartridge Number: 1213 (blue)
For additional help on identifying your Moen shower system, you can visit Tub and Shower Systems or Single Handle Shower: M-Core at Solutions.moen.com.
What are the Differences Between Moen 1212 and 1213 Cartridges?
The main difference between Moen 1212 and 1213 cartridges is that the latter has volume control while the former does not. Volume control means that you can adjust the force or amount of water exiting the showerhead or tub spout by pushing the handle in and out. This gives you more flexibility and control over your shower experience.
Another difference is that Moen 1212 cartridge is compatible with both 3-port and 4-port valves, while Moen 1213 cartridge is only compatible with 4-port valves. A port is an opening in the valve that allows water to flow through.
A 3-port valve has one port for hot water, one for cold water, and one for mixed water. A 4-port valve has an additional port for diverting water to a tub spout or a hand shower.
Here is a table that summarizes the differences between Moen 1212 and 1213 cartridges:
|Feature||Moen 1212||Moen 1213|
|Valve Compatibility||3-port or 4-port||4-port only|
How to Install or Replace Moen 1212 and 1213 Cartridges?
Sure, here are the steps on how to install or replace Moen 1212 and 1213 cartridges:
- Turn off the water supply to the faucet.
- Remove the handle by loosening the set screw with an Allen wrench.
- Remove the escutcheon by pulling it off.
- Remove the cartridge clip by using a flathead screwdriver or needle-nose pliers.
- Pull out the old cartridge by using pliers or a cartridge puller tool.
- Insert the new cartridge by aligning the tabs on the cartridge with the slots on the valve body and pushing it in firmly.
- Replace the cartridge clip by sliding it into place.
- Replace the escutcheon by aligning it with the cartridge and pushing it on.
- Replace the handle by aligning it with the cartridge and tightening the set screw with an Allen wrench.
- Turn on the water supply and check for leaks.
For more detailed instructions and video tutorials, you can visit Installation Help at Moen.com and search for M-Core 2-Series Cartridge Replacement or M-Core 1213 Cartridge Replacement.
Moen 1212 and 1213 cartridges are both part of the M-Core valve system that offers functionality and style choices for your shower. The main difference between them is that Moen 1213 has volume control while Moen 1212 does not. Depending on your shower preferences and valve type, you can choose the cartridge that suits you best. To install or replace your cartridge, you can follow the steps above or watch the video guides at Moen.com.
We hope this blog post has helped you understand the differences between Moen 1212 and 1213 cartridges and how to install or replace them. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below or contact us at 1-800-BUY-MOEN. Thank you for choosing Moen products!